|Gonzales Regional Children's Advocacy Center
Gonzales and Lavaca
|1604 St. Paul St., Gonzales, Tx 78629 Phone 830-672-1278
|A 501 (C) (3) Tax exempt organization
To restore the dignity, hope
and security to children of
Gonzales, Lavaca and
surrounding counties by uniting
public officials and our
Following are the basic steps to an investigation of child sexual abuse.
1. Someone reports suspicion of abuse to authorities, either law enforcement or the Department of Family
2. A Forensic Interview of the child is conducted at the Children’s Advocacy Center (Norma’s House).
3. Medical exams are conducted, if necessary.
4. The Family Advocate will talk to the child and non-offending caregiver about counseling and community
5. Law Enforcement and/or DFPS will continue the investigation, which will include an interview with the alleged
offender if possible.
6. A team of professionals (discussed in Your Child’s Team section), will meet to discuss the case and decide
how to manage it. The team consists of nurses, prosecutors, law enforcement officers, social workers, forensic
interviewers, family advocates and mental health professionals.
The case may be referred to District court or Civil Court, or some other plan may be made for managing the